Health Information Collection and Use
As a patient of our medical practice we require you to provide us with your personal details and a full medical history, so that we may properly assess, diagnose, treat and be proactive in your health care needs.
We aim to protect the privacy and secure storage of your health information. To assist in providing a safe environment, a closed circuit television (CCTV) surveillance system has been installed in the practice (this does not include the consultation rooms).
We require your consent to collect personal information about you and to use the information you provide in the following ways:
- Administration purposes in running our medical practice
- Billing purposes, including compliance with Medicare and Health Insurance Commission requirements
- Disclosure to others involved in your healthcare and treating doctors, hospitals and specialists outside this medical practice. This may occur through referral to other doctors, or for medical tests and in the reports or results returned to us following referrals
- Disclosure to other doctors in the practice, locums etc. attached to the practice for the purpose of patient care and teaching
- For research and quality assurance activities to improve individual and community health care and practice management. Usually information that does not identify you is used but should information that will identify you be required you will be informed and given the opportunity to 'opt out' of any involvement
- To comply with any legislative or regulatory requirements e.g. notifiable diseases
- For reminder letters/electronic messages that may be sent to you regarding your health care and management
- Your doctor may wish to email to you specific information about your health that you have requested
You can decline to have your health information used in all or some of the ways outlined about but it may influence our ability to manage your health care to provide the best outcome for you.
You have a right to access the information collected about you, except in some circumstances where access may be legitimately withheld. You will be given an explanation in these circumstances.